Friday, January 8, 2010

Christian moms to pre-teens or older: a little advice here, please?

Okay, first off I should tell you that I'm an adoptive mom to an only child. That pretty much means that for the last 11 years I have completely wrapped my heart around this sweet, precious little girl ... until NOW.


NOW means she's 11. NOW means that she's secretly appauled that I would be (as I secretly found out from her friend's mom) ';secretly trying to 'listen-in' on her conversations in the car.'; (I'm not, but the other day she was messing in my purse -- a definite no-no, but with an agreed-upon purpose -- when suddenly her friend whispered like she was doing something wrong, and I jumped her. Obviously a snafu!)


I found the following article:


http://life.familyeducation.com/tween/te鈥?/a>


It basically states to not show affection, pretty much pretend she and I don't know each other, etc., in order for her to feel okay about herself with my being in public with her.


I realize I'm naive about these things, which is why I'm calling out to moms. Is this what God wants from us as moms? Am I not basically giving into her whims, more than her needs? or is this a psychological need of hers to have that embarrassment of her mom? We've always been incredibly close. Do I really have to give it up now?


I really could use some loving, but candid, advice here. I don't want to smother her, but I also don't want to lose the closeness we've developed over the years. She still reaches out and holds my hand at times, without my request, but other times she acts totally put-off that I'm even walking near her. Can somebody please explain?


If you state that this is hormones, I have a new question for you. She is really, really skinny, no outward signs of hormones (peach fuzz for hair, no 'upstairs' beginning, etc.). Could it still be hormones?





Thanks in advance for your sensitivity on this matter. For any non-Christian moms reading this, I'm not trying to exclude you. I could certainly still use some advice from any loving mom! I was just wondering, in particular, if there's something in a Christian aspect that I need to know about being a Christian mom, but like I said, I'm a loving mom and would love advice simply about keeping our relationship close.


Thanks againChristian moms to pre-teens or older: a little advice here, please?
DON'T give up your mother-daughter relationship. I'm not a mom, but still. Just because she's a teen does not give her the right to push her mother away. Just give her a little space and you'll have a great relationship (hopefully). Show affection in public if you like, she'll get over it. My mom hugged me in public a few times when I was 10-11. At the time I was embarrassed, but she's my mom. I got over it.Christian moms to pre-teens or older: a little advice here, please?
I am a Chrisian and Im a teenager. I think that your daughter is trying to figure out who she is right now and what she wants in life. I think God might want you to protect her, and to guide her, but if she isnt listening, maybe you should give her space. Dont give up on your relationship with her. She is only 11. When I was 11 I thought I knew everything. But I am a completely different person now. Just do what you think is right. Dont worry, your daughter still loves you.
you just need to find a balance between loving her and smothering her you shouldnt be ashamed to show affection for her just because youre her mom and there are other kids her age around i think that your daughter, because shes getting older is pushing you away a bit, but theres nothing wrong with this God wants you to be able to let go of your child when the time is right, although, 11 is a bit young for her to be embarrassed by you but all children have different ages of social and emotional development dont feel like you need to constantly be around her to keep your relationship strong, she needs to be able to have her own experiences with friends. she doesnt not love you, she just needs space from time to time im 15 and i know how she feels i get embarrassed by my mom sometimes but that doesnt mean that our relationship isnt loving and i definitely love her with all my heart
  • dental cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment