Sunday, December 27, 2009

Need advice from Christian parents with tattoos and body piercings?

Hi all!





I know this is a bit of a crazy question, but I need to elaborate a bit. I'm Christian, my husband is a fairly new Christian (about 2 years), and I am sending my daughter to the same Christian private school this fall as I attended.





They have strict dress code, hair has to be a certain cut, no tattoos, piercings, other than two holes per ear for a girl.





My husband has about 11 tattoos, including 5 of which are visible while wearing shorts and a short sleeve top. He also has both ears pierced.





I have a small stud in my nose, and 4 tattoos, only one which is visible while wearing shorts, and it's small on my ankle.





Now do you think , as a Christian, piercings and tattoos are considered defiling, and a sin to the human body?





I know as Christians we are not supposed to judge, but do you think two parents like us, showing up at a school function would be frowned upon?





We are two modest people in ever other way. We dress nice, have nice hairstyles, I wear tasteful makeup, we are very clean cut, no wild hair colors. We are some of the nicest people you would ever meet. I'm just wondering if they have that dress code for the sake of the kids looking ';clean cut';, or if it's because as Christians, that's considered defilement of the body.





Also do you think that the parents would also be a reflection on the school who have a code such as this?





I hope you all understand my question and all help is appreciated!!


Thank you!Need advice from Christian parents with tattoos and body piercings?
Here's my thoughts:





God won't judge you for the exterior, so neither should man.





I don't view that as defiling your body. I view piercings and tattoos as expressions of artwork.





Defiling your body can be thought of as many ways. It all goes into semantics and legalism with some denominations.





If you are frowned upon, that gives you information about the people who frown on you, not information on you yourselves. I have tattoos that are not always visible. I'm also a Christian woman. It doesn't make me (or you) any less of a Christian. If anything, it makes you more approachable to the non-Christians. Honestly, it shouldn't matter what the school code says. That applies to the students, not the parents.





It boils down to this: If you know who Christ is and you know who you are (Christ is a great Savior and you and I are sinners saved by His infinite grace and not on any work of yours, thank you God Almighty for salvation!), then that's all that matters to God.Need advice from Christian parents with tattoos and body piercings?
Oh, I'm sure good, decent Christians would never even consider being judgemental about something so superficial*.





Seriously though, who cares? The ones that mind don't matter, and the ones that matter don't mind.





As far as the 'defilement' thing goes, I'm pretty sure it's only the Jews who have that as an 'official' part of their beliefs.





























* Yes, that was sarcasm.
I have two tattoos, both unable to be seen. My husband has three. I am a Christian but disagree with ANYONE judging anyone else. There shall be only ONE judge. The Lord. I would not care if anyone said anything or whispered, ect. I would walk proudly, apparently you are a better person than they.








Lyn
I personally don't think its a problem. If people give you trouble then they aren't being very nice. They should judge based on personality.





However if someone from school does speak to you in a kind way pollitely asking you, then try covering with a little foundation.
If you are that worried about it either homeschool your child or send them to a public school and teach them the church stuff at home
I think God is the only one that can judge us and He sees our hearts. We should teach our kids not to judge people from their outward appearrance. If the staff of the school make a big deal of your appearrance, especailly as adults, I would seriously send my kids somewhere else. There are more important issues to be focusing on.
Of course they will look at your differently. They may say nothing, but you can be guaranteed that the talk will happen between parents, and the staff. It is the same as walking in with purple hair. Everyone will notice.





Now, you can win them back over with your personality and current life style. But the first impression will be hard to overcome.





Many here say that you shouldn't judge, but everyone, everyone judges by what they see first. Your feelings may change later, but the first look is all you have to base anything on.





This would be a great teaching experience for your children however. I would sit with them and discuss your concerns, and then talk with them about making permanent decisions on and for your body which may bother you later in life. You could relate this to all sorts of things. (Believe me, I know you are proud of what you did, but it can be a hindrance.)
Mother to Scarlet made a very good point.. that being said I have not always been a christain, thankfully God is in my life now. Before then I did get some tatoo's, and I do not tink that makes me any less of a Christain now. No one is in any position to judge less it be God. Understanding and Forgiveness are two qualities in Christ that are taught, so I would hope you or your child is not frowned upon
my pastor at my church did a thing on piercings and tattoos. he said god doesn't care what we look like, whether we have piercings, tattoos, blue hair, or look ';normal';. he cares about what's on the inside. piercings and tattoos does not make you a sinful person and any christian that criticizes you for it imo aren't behaving in a very christian way themselves.
I think the rules are more for the kids than anything else. When I was in Catholic school, we coudn't wear make-up, nail polish, boy's hair couldn't be below the ears, gym shoes, fake tattoos were a definite no-no. If there's older kids in the school (as many small, private schools have) there might be an issue with piercings and such. It's all to keep from a distracting learning environment (many public schools have similar rules, but are not really enforced, at least, not in my experience). Regardless of the school your child is in, some parents are going to judge you. Unfortunately, it's the nature of our society. But - I could have sworn the Bible said, Judge not less he be judged
I have tattoos and my husband has tattoos and piercings. I dont think the school will have a problem.. You may have parents that talk or judge but thats there own problem not yours...


There will always be somone who makes a judgment based on your tats.. I have had doctors basically ask me if I was a druggy while looking at my tats, and I wont even take pain pills let alone drugs. LOL


I wouldnt worry about it to much. If you feel uncomfortable just keep them covered when you attend school functions, i will admit sometimes I cover up mine just to avoid any ';talk';.
I think some of the parents or teachers even will judge based on looks. My husband has several tats. Mine are easily covered. Our 5 year started a Catholic school this year and I noticed at the beginning some acted kind of odd around my husband. That lessened as we got to know people though. A friend of ours also has their little girl there and one teacher commented that they look like people ';who have a hard way to go';. They are clean cut, dressed well, but have piercings and tattoos too. I can imagine they probably talk about my family too.





When my step daughter was in the 2nd grade she cried before we went to a parent teacher conference because she was afraid everyone would know we were freaks (her words) because we had our tongues pierced. She grew up with this and we were surprised it was so upsetting to her.





We all judge people on their appearances. Aren't we taught the importance of making a good first impression? I have come to the conclusion though to not worry about what others think. It's kind of funny that some people are surprised that the person coming in with all the tattoos is well spoken and a great person. I wouldn't sweat it, I'd just put my best foot forward.
So what? You aren't a student at the school are you? If people look down on you because of it that is their own stupid fault for being so rude and judgemental. You are your own person and can do to your body what you want. If people look down on you for that they aren't worth knowing in the first place. If it really bothers you maybe you could go out of your way to talk to people and let them actually get to know you.
Leviticus 19:28-' You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment