Thursday, December 31, 2009

I am an atheist...in love with a Christian. I know this can work. What advice would you offer??

Please, no smart answers. I'm serious about him.I am an atheist...in love with a Christian. I know this can work. What advice would you offer??
respect each other's belief systems and discuss ahead of time what the children are going to be taught until they reach the age where they can decide what path they are going to follow. be totally honest and open with each other as this is the only way any relationship can work. GOOD LUCKI am an atheist...in love with a Christian. I know this can work. What advice would you offer??
Be supportive and understanding. Don't try to change his thinking to yours. That's the advice I'd give anyone.
';Respect';
It rather depends what sort of Christian he is. Most people are way more reasonable about their beliefs than those posting here, however if he is fundamentalist or evangelical then I don't think it could work.
It's hard to make it work. My husband believes in God, but is not a Christian. I would not be able to live in the same house as ';true Christian';.
hmmm hard 1








1 question why are u an athist?


e-mail me
If you want him to be true to what he believes is rights, you must realize that he should not marry you: the Bible forbids it. If you love him that much, maybe you should look into his faith for yourself.





EDIT: fourmorebeer is right in saying that many people who call themselves Christians would not worry about marrying a non-believers. You guys can continue to give me all the thumbs-down you want, but it is a fact that the Bible forbids such a marriage, and thus it is a fact that if you want to marry someone who is true to his convictions, he is going to need to examine them and see if he truly does believe enough to obey the Bible.
When I first met my husband, he told me he was a ';card-carrying church member.'; I am an atheist. That was almost the end of the not-yet-relationship, but I really liked him so went out with him anyway. We got married a couple of years later, and he had only gone to church a couple of times during that time, but he was still a believer.





I never pressured him or even really talked about religion with him, but gradually he just stopped believing. By the time we had kids, he had no interest in trying to teach them Christianity, which I had agreed he could do if he wanted to. (But I made it clear right away that I was NOT going to try to teach them something I did not believe; I just would not try to undercut his teachings out of respect but would answer their questions honestly.)





We've been married 37 years.





Good luck! It may not work for everyone, but it has for us.
I'm not sure why he is serious about you, though. I mean, differences in religion can be worked through, but this isn't a difference, it's a contradiction.





If you do end up together, please consider the impact of your relationship on any possible children.
Does the Christian know how you feel? Have you thought about attending church with him to check out if there actually IS something to his faith or not? The Bible does forbid a Christian from marrying a non Christian, and since you haven't mentioned his intentions, it's hard to give further advice.





Good luck and God bless, sweetie!
If you both RESPECT each others belief, or non-belief, it will work. My husband is Agnostic and I'm an Atheist. We will have discussions about religion and God, but neither one of us pressures each other to conform to one another's beliefs.





If he truelly loves you, he will understand and accept that you do not believe in God. Vice versa for you.





However, you all should have a talk if it begins to get serious about your children. My husband and I both agreed that we would bring our children up to choose what they want to do. If they want to be Christian, that's fine. If they want to be Jewish, that's fine. If they want to be an Atheist, that's fine too. You should have those talks now before things get too serious and it ends up in a huge battle of beliefs.





It will work out if you both have an open-mind and respect each other.





Also, don't be swayed by people stating that the Bible forbids Christians from marrying non-believers. In most cases, in most churches, they have adapted because they realize that there will be inter-faith and inter-belief marriages. They have accepted it.
Oh, if he's a man, no problem. You can wise him up.





It's been my experience that women are far less willing to drop their religion for the sake of a loved one.





Just withhold the you know what from him for a month or so, and he'll start to see the light. :)
  • fashion makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment