Saturday, December 19, 2009

What do you think of the atheist response to Christian ';advice';?

Five things that would make atheists seem nicer.





http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/鈥?/a>What do you think of the atheist response to Christian ';advice';?
Thanks for the link. All I can think of is one of my particularly favorite bumper stickers right now: ';I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.';What do you think of the atheist response to Christian ';advice';?
I think it's spot on. I agree--spin this around and point it back at the Christians. These are common issues between ALL feuding groups--to be true about only one side, you can't point it back at the originator. To say that your opponent is something that you aren't is fine, but if you can be proven to need to take your own advice, then you just need to stuff it.





They should not seem so smug. Sorry, but shouting in my fact that I will go to Hell while you party in Heaven seems pretty smug to me.





Who is the Evangelical dialogue talking to? I mean sure, you might be trying to persuade the undecided, but they want logic to. And shouldn't we be allowed to defend our beliefs? Using what you say to build an argument off of is perfectly fine--you do it too.





How about YOU admit that the conversation is complex and that the Atheists MIGHT BE RIGHT?!?!





How about you try to do some science? Don't be scared of it--it won't bite. Take a 101 Biology or Chemistry course (with lab)--you'll be surprised to find out what you actually do when you build an experiment.





How about explaining religion without telling me ';Ezechiel 12:13'; like I know what that means (and care to find out for myself). How about taking the fact that there are BLATANT contradictions within the Bible (gosh, wish I could pull up those chapter and verse for ya, but I guess using random passages taken out of context would be supportive of ';advice';--yeah, Christians TOTALLY don't pull passages out of their butt without context) and put the quotes together. THEN explain why one is right and one is wrong.





Sorry, the Christians failed the test--why can't THEY be nicer?!?





P.S. ';Seem nicer';? So they don't ACTUALLY have to roll over and let the Christians take over--they just have to SEEM too.
PZ is usually right on the mark, and he is in this case.





There are a lot of people out there who are offended by the mere existence of atheists. If we had to tiptoe around everyone's beliefs all the time, we'd never be able to say anything. We know we're going to offend people with what we say, so we just speak our minds.
Im an atheist and my best friend is a christian!!





But we have a great balance


When im too mean she teaches me to be less skeptic


And when she is too nice i teach her awesome comebacks to insults





=]





Different religions have different things to offer you
1 not to be told what to believe


2 not being told how i shud live


3 not being told i'm less than human


4 not being told i hate religion


5 not having assumptions made about me


and ne thing else like that apart from that i'm accepting of all ppl if they are of me no questions asked
Yeah, PZ pretty much hit the nail on the head. And really, it's hard to be nice to someone who's beating you over the head with a metaphorical stick all the time.
Meh.





This could be directed as advice to anyone.





I think that comments by douchebags like ';merman'; very well represent the attitudes of a lot of christians.
i never click on links here








but as an atheist i'd like to say this:


i wouldn't mind taking advice from a christian, so long as the advice isn't religion related.
I think there needs to be a list to make Christians nicer when they debate instead of some of the rude and nasty comments they make...
It is opposing to Christian advice at most.
It even mentions the ';Flying Spaghetti monster';; nice touch.
It makes me sad... the sheer amount of hostility in it.
sad...
What I find both funny and sad at the same time, is that it is a grown man, around my age, speaking as if a child.... His intelligence is lacking and so is that infamous *logic* that atheists are so proud of..... go in peace.... God bless
The advice wasn't backed up by any ways of showing you to Christ. It was a turn-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment